Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Dreaded Tax Season

147 million: The number of dollars the Benefit Bank has returned to Ohio's economy

I wasn't in the office all last week, which is why I am finally getting around to updating my blog. It has been pretty busy around here.

The dreaded tax season is upon us, so last week us Vistas went into Cincinnati to observe Meredith doing a tax training class. It was actually kind of relaxing to be on the student side of the training for once. No public speaking necessary. Take a look at the room where we were trained. ... We all felt like we were in the U.N.



We all felt pretty important sitting at those fancy round tables.

I have not been looking forward to doing these tax trainings AT ALL. My knowledge on taxes is pretty limited. But I feel like I was more prepared to sit in on this training than I was for the benefits one I did back in July. All I can remember from observing Meredith do the benefits trainng is that I was incredibly confused and overwhelmed. And now I am completely confident when it comes to training counselors about benefits.

I feel like this whole tax training thing is going to go along that path. I'm overwhelmed right now, but I'll get the hang of it. It just takes patience and preparation. Lots of patience. Lots of preparation.

So what the Benefit Bank does for taxes -- If you have a household income of $56,000 or less, you can file your income taxes for free. Or we can do it for you, at no charge. The Benefit Bank screens for different tax credits that often go unclaimed, unlike some other tax programs. And our clients can e-file directly to the IRS. Thing is, we get really busy during tax season. So hopefully people don't wait until the last minute.

I don't think it will be too difficult. As long as people remember to bring in all of their W2s and whatever else. I'm hanging in there! :)

No comments: