Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Frustrating Trainings

2: The number of people in attendance at my most exhausting training yet.

I'm really tired.

I feel like I have gotten used to speaking in front of people at the trainings (I'm on a break for my third one right now). But that doesn't keep me from feeling completely drained by the time I begin the drive home.

These trainings can be really frustrating at times, and I feel like my patience is getting an extreme workout. I haven't snapped at anyone or anything like that, and I don't think I ever will. I am generally an easygoing person who tends to bottle up trivial things like frustration, anger and impatience. Writing is always a good outlet. Plus, I am literally too introverted to draw attention to myself by using a harsh voice. But anyway.

While these trainings are rewarding in the long run, knowing that I am helping people helping others, I tend to get a little frustrated with no-shows, rude counselors and those people who are completely computer-illiterate. So far I have never had a training with perfect attendance. There were supposed to be seven people in today's training. Three had the good grace to call or e-mail ahead of time to let me or Meredith know that they wouldn't be able to come. Two just didn't show up. So a class of seven turned into a class of two.

Which, really, is fine. As long as there is one person who wants to learn the program, I am more than willing to show them how to use it. But they are having a little trouble today. One of them forgot her glasses, so she can't really read the benefit guide. The other one isn't computer literate. He's the type of person who needs to look down at each individual key on the keyboard before pressing it. Needless to say, the training is going very slowly today.

In my training last week, I had to deal with a couple of rude individuals who seemed to think I was the person to blame for not rounding up and arresting illegal immigrants. They thought I was at fault, too, for giving incarcerated individuals the opportunity to apply for benefit programs. I think I handled that well, though. I just told them, "That's just the way it is," and Meredith was there to back me up.

Oh, the life of a community trainer. So many obstacles, so little recognition. Hopefully, so very rewarding at the end of the year.

1 comment:

Kaitlyn Baker Wessels said...

Hang in there! And know that there is a whole crew of CTs out there who can empathize with your experience. Only 3 more hours to go!