Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Trouble With Snow Is...

45: The number of minutes my car was stuck in the snow Tuesday.

As everyone is probably aware, we've gotten oodles of snow over the past couple of weeks. It seems like whenever we took the time to bundle up and shovel the driveway, Mother Nature would drop another 6+ inches of snow in Fairfield.

This week has been particularly tricky. My drive home from work Monday was terrifying, to say the least. The roads were completely covered in a fine layer of ice. I slipped and slid all the way home, but made it back safe and sound.

I think the roads were marginally better on Tuesday, but I can't be sure because I never made it out of my driveway. The snow plow that had come in the middle of the night had pretty much trapped me in. Of course, I didn't realize this until my car got stuck in the middle of the street and the driveway. (See below)




Fortunately we live on a dead-end street, so no angry drivers came by. But it did take my mom and me 30-45 minutes to dig it out.

Needless to say, I worked from home Tuesday.

The roads are a lot better now than they have been, and it hasn't really snowed in a few days. But the parking lot at Shared Harvest is an absolute catastrophe. It's never actually been a good parking lot. There aren't a lot of places to park, so people usually park on the grass. But as the grass is currently buried beneath about a foot of snow, everyone has been cramming themselves wherever they see blacktop. The result of such a system is pictured below:



The good news is that you're never too old to play in the snow. I am just dying for Steve to go on the intercom someday and say "Attention, Shared Harvest employees. A snowball fight will begin in the parking lot at 12:15 ... Snowball fight at 12:15."

IN OTHER NEWS: Here is my cat, Albert, playing in the snow.

1 comment:

Kaitlyn Baker Wessels said...

You know, we have access to the intercom too...

"Umm...hehe...attention everyone! We're going to play in the snow now? Repeat..hehe...we're going to play in the snow now! Stop what you're doing! That is, if you want to. We don't want to make anyone mad. hehe Okay bye!"