Monday, February 22, 2010

Alexandra's Terrible, Horrible, No-Good, Very Bad Day

3: The number of hours Kaitlyn and I spent in a training today until we snapped.

Kaitlyn and I have been collaborating with a local business who wanted to train 23 members of it's staff on benefits for the OBB. We don't usually plan extra trainings, but because there were so many people who wanted the training, and because they all had laptops and wireless internet, we decided to make an exception.

We rarely both attend a training, either, but as there were so many new counselors, in an unfamiliar place, we made another exception.

Kaitlyn had had an enormous class last Friday at Miami Hamilton, so we both went to that one, too. Kaitlyn did most of the talking while I went around to people who were struggling and helped them catch up. We were going to switch roles today; I would lead the training and Kaitlyn would make sure everyone was on the same page. With our system from last week, we figured today's trainng would go just as smoothly as that had. It did not.

Although we were told that all 23 counselors would have their own laptop and reliable internet access, this was not the case. In fact, only about 15 people showed up, and two of them hadn't brought their laptops. The internet was a complete disaster; it took forever for anyone to get signed on, and even then it was erratic. Someone's internet died every 10-15 minutes.

Sadly, this wasn't the worst part of the class.

The entire time I was there, I felt like I was babysitting a bunch of sixth-graders. I think that, because everyone already worked together, they were all really comfortable just goofing off and chatting to one another. I literally did not have their attention for more than 15 seconds at a time. When the third cell phone rang I was just like, "Okay, everyone. Can we turn off the cell phones, please? That's the third one that has gone off." I mean, really? When you heard the first one ring, didn't that REMIND you to turn off you own? I didn't think I'd have to remind them. They're adults.

Everyone was so disrespectful. My voice got steadily louder and I was much more firm, but it didn't sway them. It was completely out of control. I don't know if it's because they thought we were too young to know anything or what, but I have never been more frustrated in my life.

Some examples:
  • We asked counselors--several times--to pair up because we were having so many problems with the computers. We still ended up with a group of one and a group of three. They just weren't grasping the concept of "pairing up."
  • One man stood up in the middle of the scenario and went back to his own computer. When asked if there was a problem, he said he was done. They had been working for 15 minutes. They weren't done.
  • I don't think we had everyone in the room at a time throughout the day. People were wandering in and out constantly. Could you not have gotten your coffee during that 20 minute break when we were trying to get everyone online?
  • Kaitlyn overheared one person say there wasn't a social security number for the woman in the scenario. She interceded, and said that she did have one. The man then said that he thought they were supposed to just make someone up. Why? Why would I have gotten you through the first few steps of the Alice Nelson scenario and tell you to keep your books open on page 73 if I wanted you to BS the whole thing?

It was, without a doubt, the worst training either of us had ever been to. No one heard a word I said because they NEVER STOPPED TALKING. We eventually called Jessica and let her know what was up. We talked to the site supervisor. We discussed it with each other. And we decided to pull the plug on the training at noon and finish it another day, at a place with reliable internet access. This is why we don't usually set up special trainings for one agency. We already have reliable training sites. We're going to stick with them.

It was awful. I am not looking forward to seeing them all again to finish the training. Kaitlyn and I have already decided to go together for part II. If I had been by myself today, I would probably be cowering in a corner somewhere.

And now when I send them the next class announcement for round II, I'm going to have to remind them to turn their cell phones off, tell them not to talk when I am talking, and to take this seriously.

Or I could just say, "This is not a 3rd-grade field trip. This is a business-related training. Please behave like adults, or you will be asked to leave the class."

Tempting.

Necessary.

2 comments:

Jen said...

That sounds terrible! Sorry you had such a bad day :(

Unknown said...

I read this a while ago and meant to comment, but forgot. I enjoyed (well, not ENJOYED, but you know, haha) reading this because I've totally had similar experiences with trainings. It's so true that the worst classes for paying attention are the co-workers who feel so comfortable with each other that they chitchat the whole time and text, etc. Internet issues just make you feel helpless. Sigh. I'm glad you got through this one. Sounds like a doozie.