Wednesday, November 18, 2009

No Regrets

39: The number of miles in my car before I run out of gas (But don't tell my dad)

Yes, I made the mistake of driving to Vandalia today without filling up my gas tank. But it could have been worse. And I'm going straight to Kroger after work.

Anyway, I went to Vandalia for this Medicare conference/resource fair at the Dayton Airport Hotel. Have you ever hobbled across a large parking lot in the rain on crutches carrying a laptop and a large tote bag? It is not a pleasant experience.

I finally made it inside and found the room where all the other vendors were. Meredith had called some people in Columbus to reserve our spot, but I guess they never got around to calling them? It worked out, though, because they had one extra table.

Normally I would have brought a tri-fold with me, as well as a bowl of candy, but it was hard enough getting my bag and laptop in the door. So my booth was a little lame. Still, I had my laptop for Quick Checks and Site Finders, and tons of flyers about the Benefit Bank to give away. Turns out I didn't really need them. There were only about 30-35 people there, and many of them didn't even come into the resource room. Set up was at 8 a.m., people started trickling in at 8:30, there was a presentation in another room from 9-10, and a few individuals came back in on their way out. So for most of the day, the resource room looked like this:


But of course, it was not a waste of time. It never is.
Although I didn't do any Quick Checks for anyone, I did do a site locator for a woman whose son has been struggling. A lot of people at least picked up some flyers and pamphlets. And when I told one woman what the Benefit Bank was, she was so excited that she wasted no time filling out a "Yes card" so she can get started on becoming a site.
The best news of all -- there just so happened to be a Friendly's two miles away from the Dayton Airport Hotel. So at 11 a.m. I drove over there, went straight for the counter and asked if I could get food to go.
"You sure can! You want to order breakfast?"
"No...don't judge me, but I just want ice cream."
That's right, I wasn't kidding when I said I'd just skip the lunch and go straight for the sundae the next time I found a Friendly's. She even helped me carry it to my car.
And I have no regrets.

No comments: