Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Bad Computers, Good Computers

25: My days left as an Americorps VISTA.

I'm typing away on a different laptop than I am used to today. Whenever I turn my own on, it freezes up as soon as I log in. Even after restarting it fifteen times and making many a phone call to IT.

I'm guessing my old laptop is sensing that our year together is almost complete, and has decided to retire early. You couldn't wait another three weeks, Bob the Laptop?

Anyway, Bob decided to quit on me Friday when Krupa and I were in Dayton for a Smart Money event--a resource fair, if you will. I hadn't gone to a resource fair in ages, and I really do enjoy them. We weren't able to do Quick Checks for anyone, on account of Bob's poor work ethic, but we did talk to 40 people about the Benefit Bank and 50 people took OBB pamphlets and flyers. Yes, that's right. We kept a tally.

We should have kept track of all the people who came by just to eat some candy but alas, we did not.

So the resource fair went really well. It was long--we had to leave at 6:30 a.m. and I didn't get home until a little after 4:00. But I feel like we really got the word out and helped a lot of people realize what kind of help is out there.

Moving on, I had a benefit training Thursday in Lebanon. It was at a new training location--The Warren County Career Center. And I will start by saying that the people who helped set this up were incredibly helpful and amazing.

The career center was a lot bigger than I was anticipating. There were several buildings to choose from, and I couldn't find the tech center for a long time. Eventually I went into a small office building and a woman kindly pointed out where to go. I was worried people would get lost--the tech center was down a long private drive and literally looked like a ranch house. But everyone made it there fine, and the computer lab was faaaaantastic. No internet issues at all. It was actually a pleasant experience.

Well, except for one guy, who kept crossing his arms and leaning back during the scenarios, asking me when the next question was going to pop up. I had to remind him to click the "next" button more than once.

I was going to have a training tomorrow in Dayton, but the computers at our training location are down so we have to reschedule.

Personal note: Our AC is broken. The lowest high this week is going to be 86. Woo.

No comments: