Thursday, August 19, 2010

Day 364

1: Day left until my VISTA term is complete

Today is my second-to-last day at the Shared Harvest Foodbank, and as an Americorps*VISTA member. Tina took Martha and me out to lunch to celebrate this afternoon (Acapulco's...nom nom nom), and Martha got a cake from Jungle Jim's!

Isn't it pretty? Thanks again, Martha!

Wow, what a year it's been. When I graduated from college I remember lingering over my regrets. I never ate at the Burrito Buggy. I never joined an intramural sports team. There was this newspaper vending machine I used to pass all the time on Court Street. The paper was called "Graffiti." I always wanted to spray paint the word "Okay" right on the machine. But I never got around to it.

Of course, I never would have done it. I have too much respect for newspapers (and the law).

My point is, I don't have any regrets about my VISTA year. I mean sure, it has definitely had its ups and downs. I was often frustrated with computer illiteracy. Callers nearly brought me to tears when they told me their devastating stories. I was physically and mentally exhausted this winter juggling my many, many projects.

But I'm so glad I stuck with it until the end. I've learned so much this year. And even though it didn't seem like it at the time, I really feel like I made a difference.

And now we'll take a break from the sentiment to focus on our parking lot. Check it out! LINES!



And this prohibits people from parking too close to the loading dock! Hooray!

Until tomorrow, kids. I plan on having a link to my new blog sometime soon. I still need a title for it. I'm not really sure what it's going to be about yet, but I know I want to start off each blog post with a quote instead of a number. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

Kaitlyn Baker Wessels said...

Well done, AmeriCorps*VISTA. Mission complete.