Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Potholes

4: The number of hours I spent driving Monday.

Krupa and I ventured to Columbus a couple of days ago for the PIPP Plus training. By the way, PIPP stands for Percentage of Income Payment Plan. It's an energy assistance program that allows low-income families pay their gas and electric bills based on their own income, rather than the actual cost.

Anyway, they recently redeveloped the program and made it PIPP Plus. There are a lot of changes that will hopefully make it more simple and beneficial for applicants.

It was interesting to hear about the program, but to be honest it was sometimes hard to keep up. There was a lot of new information, and I didn't know too much about the program to begin with. We don't offer the PIPP application through the Ohio Benefit Bank; we just refer clients to their local Community Action Agency. And seeing as I have eight days left as a VISTA, I don't think I need to worry about it too much.

And now for some Shared Harvest news! I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned it, but the driveway at our friendly neighborhood foodbank is ridiculously dangerous. It's full of cracks and potholes and random chunks of blacktop all strewn about. We've had delivery trucks get stuck on the hill on more than one occasion in the snowy months, and I admit that I've driven straight into a foot-deep pothole, splattering my car with mud.

This week was the beginning of a beautiful thing. Tina finally broke down and decided it was time to splurge on a new driveway and parking lot!

While this is wonderful news and everyone is pretty much thrilled about it, it does create some parking problems until they are finished with Project Pavement. Check out my story-telling pics:

Ready to leave for our Columbus trip. What a mess!


I don't think I've had a picture of Krupa yet! And that silver car behind her is my Dexter.


Some employees check out the progress of our beloved parking lot.


Splendiforous!

I'm excited for the parking lot to be all pretty. Too bad I won't be able to park on it for long!

No comments: