Friday, August 20, 2010

The End

0: Speeding or parking tickets (woohoo!)
1: Sprained ankle
5: Tax clinics
6: Resource fairs
12: Trips to Columbus
34: Tax and benefit clients served
37: Lunches at Chipotle**
173: Counselors trained
12,109: Miles I put on my car
49,510: Pounds of food collected from the Holiday Food Drive
77,182: Pounds of food collected from Stamp Out Hunger
525,600: Minutes I served as an AmeriCorps*VISTA

**Number has been guesstimated

Well, the time has come. This is my last day as a VISTA, and I'm feeling bittersweet right now.

It really has been an incredible year. I've grown so much more confident in myself.
Now I can quite comfortably:
-Drive by myself in an unfamiliar area
-Give presentations to dozens of people without hyperventilating
-Make phone calls to strangers without prepping what I'm going to say for ten minutes
-Drive a large truck around with fond feelings

Thanks so much to everyone at Shared Harvest, to all my fellow VISTAs, and especially to everyone who kept up with my blog all year. Your encouraging comments really kept me going on those rough days.

But hey, this doesn't have to be goodbye! I have started up a new blog. If you're as curious as I am about where my life is headed, please feel free to check it out here.

Thanks for reading, everyone!

4 comments:

Martha Rose said...

I am going to miss you so much you have defiantly brightened up the office with your sparkling personality. Thank you so much for all your hard work and perverseness and please stay in touch.

cmoning said...

Wow. Thanks, Alex, for the 525,600 insights and nearly as many chuckles--what a fantastic blog. I couldn't be more proud. Love, Dad.

Krupa said...

Alex!!! I will really miss having you around! Thanks for teaching me the tricks of the job and patiently introducing to so many things! I'm really glad I got to work with you!

Anonymous said...

Well done, Alex.

Thomas