Monday, October 26, 2009

A crazy, busy, exhausting week

3: The number of trainings I have to do this week.

This week is going to be insane.

Right now I'm at Warren County United Way, waiting for someone to call me back about a success story. Even though it's my last day here, I am going to have to leave a couple of hours early to go to Shared Harvest.

My supervisor, Meredith, called me about an hour ago.

"Hey, Alex, it's Meredith."

"Oh, hi!"

"Um... are you feeling alright?"

"Yes....why?

"Oh, thank God."

It turns out that my fellow VISTA, Michelle, is really sick and will be most likely be unable to make it to her training tomorrow. Because of various circumstances with the other VISTAs in this region, I am pretty much the only one who was going to be able to make it to this training. I'm leaving United Way early today so I can go back to Shared Harvest and pick up some supplies for tomorrow (and Wednesday!). So tomorrow I'll be driving out to Portsmouth for another benefits training.

...Did I mention that Portsmouth is a 2 hour and 15 minute drive?

Hooray for comp time and expenses!

I have another training on Wednesday in Troy, again for benefits, and my first tax training in Dayton on Friday. So my week just got a little more interesting!

I just have to power through. Just keep swimming, and all that motivational stuff.

In other news, I went to the Lighthouse Food Pantry in Hamilton on Saturday for Make a Difference Day. Everyone was really friendly and literally welcomed me with open arms. My job was to make sure certain items, like breads, sweets and cheeses, were fully stocked as more and more people came in for their monthly shopping trip. I was also in charge of flattening boxes, which I didn't mind doing at all. There's something oddly satisfying about ripping apart cardboard. My hands got pretty dry, but I did okay.

I was supposed to stay there from 9:30-12:30, but I ended up staying a little longer because it was a lot busier than they had anticipated. They kept me moving the whole time I was there, so it passed by pretty quickly.

Social note: I saw "Paranormal Activity" on Friday. I haven't had a good night's sleep since Thursday night.

2 comments:

Joree said...

First: Cool Make a Difference Day project!
Second: That's a lot of trainings. As long as you don't lose your voice, I bet it will feel like a day off by the third one. Oh wait-- tax trainings are entirely more scary. Haha, just kidding-- you're gonna be great!
Third: Did you think it was scary/worth seeing? I have heard mixed reviews.

Kaitlyn Baker Wessels said...

One down, two to go! Tomorrow will be a breeze, you'll have a breather, and then voila! It's the weekend. Just a teeny tiny tax training in between, which, of course, will be great.