Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Technical Difficulties

26: The number of pennies in my change purse.

Today Kaitlyn and I had presentations in Montgomery and Greene counties. They were a little close together timewise, though, so to be safe Kaitlyn went to Montgomery at 8 a.m. and I headed out to Greene at 10:30.

Greene County is about an hour drive away, and I had never been out there before. Fortunately I had my GPS, Rita, with me, and I didn't get lost.

After an hour drive, consisting mostly of searching for a station that wasn't playing Miley Cyrus, I pulled into the Greene County Public Library. It was hard to find a place to park. I ended up parking on the street, which of course happened to be right next to the county jail, and which of course had a parking meter that only accepted quarters, of which I only had one.

I was only able to buy a half hour of parking time. So after I got all set up in the meeting room, I spoke with the librarian and exchanged two dimes and a nickel for another quarter. Unfortunately those were the only coins I had, aside from a handful of pennies, and I was just going to have to risk parking there for what was for sure going to be longer than 52 minutes.

So I headed back up to the meeting room and had someone come in to help me set up their projector, which I for some reason couldn't figure out for the life of me. And neither could they. They said that Acer computers for some reason always have trouble with their projector. I ended up putting my OBB presentation on a USB and transferring it over to one of their computers. At least it was working now.

By this point I was ten minutes behind schedule and two people had already shown up. So I went through the presentation, showed them the Quick Check program, answered their questions, etc. I hope they didn't notice the anxiety behind my voice. I wasn't nervous about presenting; I was nervous about getting a parking ticket.

The presentation took about an hour. When I finally had everything packed up I practically ran back to my car. The fates were with me -- my car was still there, not a single ticket in sight.

I decided to pull a Preble County and search around for more potential sites, but this day was not so successful. I couldn't find one of the places I wanted to check out, and I was only able to leave some information at the next one. It was raining, I was out of homemade business cards, and it looked like some of the places on my list required street parking (which required quarters, of which of course I had none). So I picked up some lunch and headed back to Shared Harvest.

It was a tiring day.

No comments: