Thursday, June 3, 2010

Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Summer

11: The number of weeks until my VISTA term ends

Less than three months to go now, and it is starting to feel a bit strange. I also feel like, as it is summer, I should be lounging around at home drinking lemonade and playing cornhole. I drove by a middle school on my way to work today and no one was there. And all of a sudden, I started experiencing strong feelings of dislike toward all those people who still get summers off. Yes, even the children.

They're mocking me.

Anyway, the sad thing about me only having 11 weeks to go as a VISTA is that Kaitlyn only has two weeks to go as a VISTA. So when she leaves I might not update in a while, seeing as I will most likely be crying in a corner somewhere.

Not too much has been going on here lately. I have started putting together a guidebook for the next VISTA who comes in, filled with tips and suggestions for how to handle their goals on their VAD (VISTA Assignment Description). I've just finished up the section for food drives and Gus the Bus. It brought back all kinds of fond memories. I even included some pictures. It's actually kind of fun to put together. I feel like Rick Steves.

Moving on, our regional VISTA meeting with our fearless leader Martha is coming up soon (June 17th). We usually have these meetings in a board room at United Way, but this time Martha pulled some strings and we're all going to the Cincinnati Zoo instead. Believe me, I am going to miss that stuffy board room with the uncomfortable chairs, but I will try to enjoy eating a picnic lunch and looking at polar bears instead.

By the way, if you've never been the Cincinnati Zoo...you should go.

Speaking of things you need to do, see that "follow" button? On the left hand side of my blog? Right above a bunch of photo icons? No, scroll down a little...yes, there it is. Click it. Thanks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Cincinnati Zoo for a meeting. I'm reminded of the commercials featuring monkeys in the work place (job search add?) I’m a huge fan of zoos, although I never think the cages are big enough. If you're ever in Washington, DC, you should visit the National Zoo. I'm a big fan of the Golden Lion Tamarin.

11 weeks will go by quickly. I’ve enjoyed your blog, very clever stuff.

Thomas