Friday, June 11, 2010

A Year in Review

1: The number of weeks until Kaitlyn's last day :(

A couple of days ago, Kaitlyn and I went to a fellow VISTA's presentation about her year with AmeriCorps. It was called "A Year in Review," and was put on by Jessica Reading, who is the VISTA at Miami Hamilton's campus. It was a really impressive presentation, and it made the binder we're putting together seem kind of lame. Not very lame, though. Just kind of.

We did have the opportunity to talk to Jessica after her presentation for a while, and VISTAs are never wasteful of golden photo opportunities.


Kaitlyn, Alex and Jessica doing a Rosie the Riveter-ish stance for AmeriCorps!

Last night I went to a presentation by Shannon Teague, the director of the Benefit Bank, in Hamilton. She basically went over what the OBB is and talked about the advantages of using the program. Even though there weren't a lot of people there, those who did attend were very interested in implementing the Benefit Bank in their organizations, and I gave out a lot of business cards and marketing materials. Which is a ginormous success in my books, ladies and gents.

I've been thinking about the end of my service coming up in August. And I think I'll really miss being a VISTA. It's been a crazy year filled with good friends, crazy clients and incredible experiences.

And I'm going to miss my blog! I've really loved having a blog this year, and having an actual theme to work with. I might even create a new, more personal blog once I finish my VISTA year. Hopefully my life won't be so terribly dull that I have nothing to write about. Which may very well happen if I don't find a job.

Speaking of which, if anyone happens to find a journalism/communications job in the Cincinnati area, do not hesitate to let me know.

1 comment:

Joree said...

hahahaha oh alex :) isn't it crazy to think how fast this year has gone? i'm done in a little over a month and i just can't believe it!

and i hear you about the job searching... i heard on NPR a couple of weeks ago a story about 2010 college grads looking for jobs, and how they have it bad but at least better than 2009 grads... and i thought "well, they can't have it that well, because a lot of those 2009 grads are still looking for jobs too!" it's a crazy world but i'm sure you'll get gobbled up, you're so GREAT! :)